Home moving Tips guide, so where do you start???
As you know moving home can be one of the most stressful events in life.
That’s why Dream Team Movers have put a little guide together to ease the pain, of moving.
Home moving Tips: We always suggest having a clear-out. Decluttering is one of the biggest things that will help you when comes to your move. We advise that you don’t do it all at once, as you will wear yourself out. Take your time, do little and as often. You don’t want to get stressed or disheartened. Even if you start with one room at a time, take 10 – 20 minutes a day and you will eventually get there. We suggest you start having a clear-out at least 4 weeks before your moving date. Once you start decluttering, you will be so surprised how much stuff you will not need, or even forgot about.
General packing tips:
- Start collecting Boxes. You can gets some free by asking friends, family. If not you can buy them from us or online like ebay.com and www.amazon.co.uk.
- You can also pick these up from Storage unit companies like bigyellow.co.uk or any other online packaging company.
Before you start, make sure you have all the stuff you need:
- Boxes, scissors, labels, tape, pad and pens
- We always advise customers, when packing there boxes, not to make them too heavy. You want to be able to pick them up and move them in one place safely. The last thing you want to do is hurt or strain yourself.
Dream Team Movers – Home moving Tips: Use a suitcase with wheels for heavy stuff. It will be easier to shift when it comes to moving day.
- Always pack your boxes by room and label your box.
Dream Team Movers – Home moving Tips: Always label boxes according to their designated room in the new location.
- When packing your boxes. Try to make sure that all items fit nicely and snug. The last thing you want is bits hanging out; the lid won’t fit and bulges. As you won’t be able to stack them and could cause damage to the items that are packed.
Dream Team Movers – Home moving Tips: When packing plates, always pack them vertically as they are less likely to break.
- Make sure all delicate items are bubble wrapped.
If you have to pack small items, we suggest packing them into smaller boxes and then into a bigger box. This will help things from getting tangled up or missing.
Dream Team Movers – Home moving Tips: When packing jewellery, we suggest packing in cling film. It will help it from getting tangled, later. But make sure you group them. So a pair of earrings in one cling film wrap and so on.
- We always suggest packing one suitcase of all the things you will need, for the day you move and the day after. The last thing you want to be doing is searching through everything for clothes or toothbrush and toothpaste.
- One more last thing, when transporting liquids always place cling film on the top then screw the lid on firmly. Or you can tape the lids to reduce spillage. Last thing you want is liquid everywhere in your stuff.
Transporting white goods:
- Always defrost freezers and dry them. The last thing you want is a smelly freezer. Try and do this at least 48 hours before moving date, as your freezer will need to that long to defrost. Also please bear in mind that your freezer will also need 24 hours once it has been moved. This will help the gasses to settle.
Dream Team Movers – Home moving tips: On the day you decide to defrost, plan your meals as you don’t want to waste anything.
- When un-plumbing your washing machine and dryer. Always unplug the hose and empty, open your drum for a few days and let it dry out. The last thing you want it wet boxes.
- Always clean your oven before moving. As grease will leave marks on anything it has contact with.
- When disconnecting gas appliance, we suggest instructing a gas safe engineer.
Flat packing Furniture:
- Use food bags: these will help keep all screws and bolts together. We also suggest labelling them as it will help to identify what they are from.
- When unplugging television, stereos, computers and so on. We always recommend taking a photo. This will help you remember where, what went.
- Make sure all the relevant tools that you will use for assemble, put in one box and label. Last thing you want is to be looking where the Allen key is or the Philips screw driver.
Hope these home moving tips will help you go in the right direction.